Thursday, May 1, 2008

If I don't like Walmart in the states....

Do you think I would like it here? Every once in a while I fool myself into thinking it would be nice to 'get out for a while' so we drive over to the Hiper Mas. I mean, come on, it has a whale as a mascot. A WHALE! How could anything happen there. Well, truth be told, nothing really does happen there except what you might consider Walmart on steroids. Although the picture to my right is not an actual shot of Hiper Mas - I would never feel comfortable enough to take my camera there as it would probably be stolen - it might as well be. I think the trip will be fun, but it usually ends up with the kids fighting over the steering wheel in our 'kids kart' shaped like a car while Christy and I argue over what we do or do not need and how much I really want to go. Hiper mas, and walmart for that matter, may be the single biggest family poison we have seen in a while - at least for people as 'patient' as me.

Since we have moved into San Francisco, I have found myself even more tired than usual. I guess maybe it is the 'hurry up and wait' of language school while we are going through orientation but not actually in class yet, the inability to talk, the months of not feeling like I am home, constantly being sick with some sort of cold, or any number of reasons. What ever it is, I have been grumpy. That is a big prayer request for everyone back home that God would give me patience and wisdom as I go about my days and continue to lead our family. I certainly will be the first to admit that I need constant and consistent help in this area. I'm very thankful that the support network at the language school seems to be so strong.

To show you how grumpy I am now, I don't even know what 'Todo Cuesta Menos' means, but I do not even care. The happy whale above is telling me 'Todo Cuesta Menos' but all I want to do is go to bed. For the record, I think it means something about 'always low' - probably 'always low prices' like walmart back home. The reason I know that is that walmart owns another store named 'Mas X Menos' which they translate into 'More for less'. Either way, I'm sleepy and leaving now.

2 comments:

Robin said...

pretty close :) "everything costs less" is the exact translation . . . we're thinking of you guys as you're starting language school - hope it provides some much needed distraction :)

Anonymous said...

So if cuesta means cost, and I used to live on a street called Avenida la Cuesta when I moved to CA in 2002, that means I lived on the Avenue of Cost? Stupid American developers and their names that don't make sense.

I hope everything goes well for you guys as you start language school! (And that you stop being grumpy soon!) :)