Thursday, May 8, 2008

A gender confused day

I wore a new shirt this morning. Well, at least it was new to me. We picked it up at repeat boutique - a place where Christian workers can get gently used clothing donations for free - in Wheaton before we flew down here in March. I got some pants and some nice Polo's that I was looking forward to wearing. After our first break of the morning, I mentioned to Christy that I liked my polo, but it was odd that the buttons were on the wrong side. Well, I started putting two and two together, and Christy checked the size and it was a 'L'. Given that the polo fit me just about perfect and I am no hulk - that sealed the deal that it is a women's polo. All that aside, I feel pretty good knowing that Annika Sorenson and I both look pretty good wearing Callaway Golf Polo's. Needless to say the shirt is getting retired - if anyone is interested - let me know and I will keep it for you.

During our language class, we were practicing asking each other our names, asking what other people's names were, etc. We each had a picture of a group of people and we took turns asking others what someone's name in the picture was and what they 'were' - a very open ended question. We could say what our relationship to them was, what job they did, what they did in the picture, etc. So, me trying to be funny, my conversation went...

Other person: 'Como se llama El?' -- What is his name?
Me: 'El se llama Henry' -- His name is Henry?

Other: 'Quien es Henry?' -- What is Henry?
Me: 'Henry is muy caliente, no?' -- Henry is very hot, no?

At this my teacher turned bright red and started laughing hard. I said it trying to be funny but I really thought that caliente meant 'cute' or something you might call a baby (which is by the way would be something like 'que lindo') . No no...caliente means hot, and in that context it is kind of like saying 'sexy' but turning up the meaning by about 5 notches. So, we all had a good laugh and learning experience at my expense. And, everyone looks at me a little differently now.

Besides that mishap I think the first two days of school have gone well. We are very busy doing work for class - so we will need to make sure to find the balance between studying for school and spending time as a family. During one of the orientation sessions a long time missionary reminded us to think of things in terms of eternal consequences. If we get a C in school - no one is going to care and it almost certainly will not have long term eternal consequences. However, if we neglect our relationships - it can have a huge impact. Certainly valuable words from a missionary who has been out in the field over 20 years.

1 comment:

Bryan said...

This is the second time you have posted something with which I can relate. Here's a post from October of 2006 (not long after we arrived here):

http://odetobrokenthings.blogspot.com/2006/10/break-free.html

I also can relate to your super hero hairloss condition. I think I have something similar.