Saturday, May 3, 2008

At least we know where the hospital is

I was not planning on going to the hospital today. Does anyone ever plan? Maybe for a delivery of a baby...or a surgery...but certainly some of the worst times to go there are when you are not planning to. Elizabeth had a 100 degree fever last night - no big deal really. She still was sick in the morning, but did not seem to be complaining. We went to the market and got some fruit and vegetables....when we got home we had her lay on the couch, watch TV and try to get healthy. Christy was hanging laundry and I was doing some dishes when I decided to go take her temperature again. I'm so happy I did because when I got over to her she was having a feberal seizure and was starting to turn slightly blue from choking on her own saliva. We were able to sit her up, clear out her mouth and she started coming to slowly over the next 30 minutes. We took her temperature and it was about 105 degrees. Luckily there is an amazingly kind doctor down here who looks after missionaries who laid the groundwork for us over at Clinica Biblica (the best hospital in San Jose - probably in costa rica) and also another missionary who speaks spanish was able to drive with us over to the hospital to help us find it and also translate during our stay. They found that she has a throat infection which was likely the cause of the fever and also thus also the seizure. To make sure we are getting Elizabeth a brain scan sometime in the next week to make sure the seizures are not something other than feberal. At the end of they day, we are so happy that she seems to be doing better, but as a parent nothing is worse. Combined that with being a husband watching your daughter sick AND your wife in tears, and I'm pretty sure I'd rather have both my knees broken then go through another ordeal like that. Hey, at least nothing happened to the car today....

Oh wait, I managed to ding our car today too. Awesome. We were trying to get to the hospital in such a hurry that we decided to 'go without the spotter' while we backed out of our cage. Whoops. I did not even hear the van nick the metal and make this dent (can you see it? Let me zoom in...) but it is there. All we can do is laugh about it now. Its just a car really. Oh well, the security gaurd Hector I'm sure got a kick out of it!


Totally unrelated to our tiring day. I have a few pictures. One is a reason why you should never let kids play with chalk out in your courtyard - at least not in nice clothes. The other is a picture of a new fruit I tried
today. I still have no idea what it is called - the man today at the market used the word orange but that could be just to describe the color or the name itself - I have no idea. But you cut it open and it is basically monkey brains inside. You scoop it out, and eat it - but do not chew because the seeds are bitter. Christy liked it, but I have to be honest, it was not worth the 30 cents I paid for the three of them.

3 comments:

Kiki said...

Wowzer, scary stuff! Poor Lizzy, give her a hug from the Bacaro's...ok, you ALL deserve a hug, pass them around!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that Lizzie is OK!! You are all in my prayers...Praise God that you were able to get her to the doctor alright and that she is feeling better. :-) ..and I think the fruit that you posted is a passionfruit or in Spanish "maracuya" there is another one that has a similar inside called granadilla.
-Bendiciones!!
kristin

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about Lizzie. It's really scary and my heart goes out to you guys. I'm glad she is better and I'll pray that there are no lasting effects. Keep hanging in there. I'm glad Kiki checked into your blog or we wouldn't know about your ordeal. Next time (I pray there won't be a next time) drop us an e-mail. We'll be praying.

Love in Him,
Donna