Tuesday, May 13, 2008

I guess I still look gringo

So I had a first last weekend - I got to pay my cell phone. ICE is the nationalized telecommunication company in Costa Rica, so if you want to pay your phone bill you head to any bank or grocery store and you can pay it there. We were at Hipermas (Walmart for those of you that remember an earlier post) so I decided to try. I got to the cashier, showed him my phone and then read off the number in Spanish (I do not actually know how to say 'I would like to pay my cell phone now'...I find that pointing, grunting, and speaking English in broken tid-bits usually gets the job done). He typed it up, told me it was 4200 colones - about $8.50 for an entire month. I love government subsidies! I handed him a 5000 colones bill....then he noticed something. To preface, to have a cell phone in this country you almost need to be a Costa Rican. The only reason I have one is because my tico friend put it in his name. So...back to the cashier...he said 'Su numbre es walter?' I stared at him because I did not understand him. Again, and then again he asked 'Su numbre es walter?' I finally got it and said 'Walter...yes...thats me!' He rolled his eyes and gave me my change. I guess he can tell that my name probably is not Walter Rodriguez (this may be the wrong name, I'm drawing a blank on Walter's last name...but it is much different than Meyer) and I indeed do not look Costa Rican. I'll be sure next time to be dressed for the occasion like in the picture above.

So on Monday our empleada, Roxana, started working. An empleada literally translates into 'worker', but down here used in context it basically translates into house help or a maid. It is not very expensive and is absolutely a life saver as we have begun language school. She comes from 9 until 4, Monday through Thursday, to help us out in a variety of ways. First of all, let me say she is amazing already. She has cleaned everything twice over in the house...in places I would not ever even think about touching (e.g., windows inside and out, under the sink which smells really bad, behind the refrigerator and stove, etc). She also cooks us lunch was has proven to be very tasty, and it is nice because she sits down and eats with us during which we get a chance to chat for a while. However, I have noticed one downside - she finds my hiding places for stuff! Like most gringos who live here - we have scattered all of our valuables all throughout the house. I thought my hiding important papers under big pieces of furniture was flawless. However, the last two days I have done it, the folder ends up back on my desk. I guess Roxena think I must be misplacing my folder underneath the dresser and nightstands. Silly Josh.

We used to have a whole bunch of cash stuffed in a coffee tumbler in with our dishes, but I felt like I needed to move that because I give it a 50% chance that on any given day she might decide to wash the clean dishes to make sure they are not muy sucio (very dirty). Mind you, I do not think she would steal any of our stuff...however, the last thing I want to do is even tempt this wonderful woman to what probably amounts to several months worth of salary in a travel coffee mug.

No comments: