Thursday, July 31, 2008

All doped up

You know its concerning when you come out of the doctor with not just one medication you need to take to get better, but four. Yikes. For the past two weeks plus a few days I've had a cold which has developed into a crazy cough that I can just not shake. Each evening, I lose about two hours of sleep while I hack a lung into the sink. Needless to say, for the first time in a long time, I'm actually willing to take antibiotics to help my body fight this thing. The doc told me I have bronchitis and he is concerned if we let it go to long it can develop into a chronic cough. So, now I have antibiotics, expectorants, anti-cough stuff....AND....to top it all off I got a shot in my nalga today that is supposed to reduce inflammation of the bronchial tubes. Which brings me to another episode of...

Its not BAD...its just different.

When you need a shot of something here, there is really no need to go to a doctors office. You buy the vial and syringe at a farmacia (if you can find one that carries the medicine you need - it took me five to find everything today) - and the lady behind the counter gives it to you at the little tienda. Very strange. Nothing bad happen, the needles are all take and toss individually wrapped and sterile, the lady was so gentle I hardly felt anything. But, that does not prevent it from being just different enough from the states to be very very strange.

No comments: