Saturday, July 12, 2008

Why didn't you just ask me?

Usually when we have any interaction with our landlord - who is also our next door neighbor - it has been with Zeidy, the wife. She has always been really attentative to all the questions we have, and is overall great. Today we met her husband for the first time. He came over to let us know he wanted throw away a whole bunch of bamboo that was stacked up in our front parking area It was not in our way, but I'm just as happy to have it go in the trash. He, like Zeidy, was really nice.

We got to talking about life, what we are doing, where we are going, etc...and in the conversation we mentioned that we were happy to have a working dryer now with the rainy season. He said - in spanish of course - 'Dryer, you should have asked! I have one just sitting in my house waiting for people who rent this house to use. The last renter did not want it so I put it at my house...' I mentioned that he did not have a 220V line into thishouse and he said, 'Its easy, I would have installed one quickly for you...' I guess he probably just would have taken a 220 from his house through the wall to our dryer? I'm not sure what he had in mind, but it made me think that it probably would pay off for us to ask more questions around here like 'Do you have...' or 'Could you...' Oh well, we know for next time to ask our landlords for help when we need it.

Tonight we watched about half of Horton Hears a Who with Elizabeth and Sammy. Sammy was not all that interested, but it was neat to see how into the movie Elizabeth was. Not simply watching TV for the sake of watching TV, but asking questions like 'Is he going to fall!?!?...' 'Where is Horton going?' 'Whos is he talking to!?!' I think that the whole idea of the book is probably a bit hard for a 3 year old to grasp; however, she was doing a great job picking up on the smaller themes. Little kids grow up so fast. I've attached another example of how big she is getting. We work a fair bit at helping her read some basic words (mainly every night when I read books before bed time) - and Christy worked on this little lesson with Lizzy this morning. I am impressed that she wrote lift by herself! 'F' is a hard letter to draw

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lizzy....GREAT JOB on learning your letter sounds and putting them together! You are awesome!
Grandma loves you :)