Friday, August 1, 2008

Mi Amigos - Los Bautistas de Sur

I love my Southern Baptist brothers and sisters down here. They are all great and I consider many to be very good friends even though our time together is short. However, as I mentioned before, their young sons and daughters have converted our little princess to speaking with a twang. That is funny to me, but not nearly as funny as some of the phrases that I have heard since I've been down here (some out of jest....some straight serious).

1.That don't make no sense to me
2.Wi-re Plyyy-ers
3.Wa'll
4.Hookey Spit
5.Great Honks
6. She practiced us gud today

Help understanding for Yankees:
1. Self evident - but serious
2. Apparently a tool you use on wires
3. For example - Wa'll going to walmart tonight
4 & 5. ????
6. This one was also serious

I have to be honest, I don't even know what 4 and 5 mean or how to use them in a scentence. I googled both and I got nothing. They are my favorite because David, a usually more serious guy used #4 in a scentence. Even the guy from deep Misssissippi said, 'What is that!?!?!' So David responded with 'You know, Hookey Spit!' as if clarifying anything about #4.

1 comment:

MillerMissions said...

Well I'll suwanee, I can't believe you don't know the meaning of Great Honks and Hokey Spit. You folks who grew up above "the line" would probably just say "WOW, you guys!" (Boring!) Glad your kids are expanding their vocabs. No telling where it might just take them in life!
Hokey Spit!