Sunday, April 20, 2008

More than I remember

In the 'old' days I used to have a fairly slim key chain. I had one key for each of the two cars I owned. A house bolt lock and a house knob lock. Maybe one key that I had for work, some 'valued' shopper cards and that was about it. If I wanted to get into my house no more than 2 keys was ever needed. Now, I KNOW I am in Costa Rica because my key chain has grown. To get from the street into our place you need 1)One key for the pad lock on the front gate 2)One key for the gate itself 3)One key for the gate on the front door and 4) One key for the door knob. Oh sure, I suppose you could scale two walls and just use one key for the lock on the back and then break down a couple doors - but that sure would be alot of work. If you wanted to get the van out you would need 1)Key for #1 padlock on the gate 2) Key for #2 padlock on the gate 3)Key for the gate 4) Key for the 'Dr Hook' club lock on the car and 5) Key for the car. My key chain has grown so much I even added a beener so that my belt loops takes the weight instead of me so I do not get a sore back :)

Christy and I are officially moved into our new place down in San Francisco de Dos Rios (San Fransico with two rivers). We unpacked our bags yesterday and then today managed to take a walk around the surrounding area. We are only 1/2 mile away from many local shops and also a pretty large grocery store. The trek to language will be a bear (20 minutes) especially in the rain, but at least we can drive if we really need to.

I feel like we have officially been assimilated into Costa Rica. We went to some street shop today and I ordered (in Spanish) 'one entire chicken meal' (only 7 bucks - it easily would feed three). They excitedly told me something in Spanish, I said No Habla Espanol. I'm so tired of saying that - but the chicken was great - minus the pickled/unripe banana/onion sauce they gave us.

No comments: