Sunday, January 4, 2009

A shop-a-holics dream

Well, I finally got around to unburying our camera out of the hotbox so I thought I would snap a few pictures around the new place. The first one here is one of the reasons why my living room is my 'new favorite room'. Actually - I told Christy it is the first room in all of the places in Costa Rica that we have stayed that has a room that I really like. Our ceiling is a bit unusual in that it is totally wood paneled. In the family room, there is huge piece of timber that is roughly 16 feet tall, that serves a major support for the roof. However, in all directions (and in all other rooms) there are vaulted ceilings with the amazing wood paneling. I can just sit out in the family room, listen to music, read and enjoy the setting.

Another exciting thing that occurred just today actually is that we bought a mid-sized on demand water heater. I'm not sure if I mentioned before, but our house does not have hot water at all (except for that water coming out of widow-makers in the showers in the two bathrooms with have). However, Christy and I figured that it would be pretty easy to buy an on demand water heater and feed some hot water to both our clothes washer and also the kitchen sink. You would not believe it - but I am excited about the water to the sink. During raining season, when you are always wet, everything is damp, and it is about 62 degrees - washing your hands in freezing cold water is a good way to both be uncomfortable and catch a death illness.

One implication of the hot water that I mentioned to christy at the hardware store is that I will have to yet again face my arch-rival...plumbing. For those of you who have never tried to adjust plumbing or even make new plumbing from something roughed in - you may not understand. However, its an art. Even when you think you have it 'all figured out' and buy all the pieces of PVC, the glue, the bends, etc....you WILL go back to the hardware store no less than 16 more times to get the right pieces. After my ominous warning - Christy and I began our adventure.

Given my healthy respect and FEAR of plumbing, I think that plumbing must be a shop-a-holics dream. You KNOW you are going to buy the wrong parts, and probably miss something, but you can combat this by buying every bend, every union, every connection possible. And they are only about 100 colones each! We are talking about 20 cents a piece. So, you can go crazy at the store. You can see a small collection of the pieces that we will likely never use because they are incorrect to the left.

As if hearing my words and exactly on que, when we got home we realized our first (or what will be many) problems. I was all excited as we pulled the unit out of the box, one side saying 'cold water' and one saying 'hot water'. So easy, what could go wrong. We bought all the PVC and connections for 3/4'' - this is what washers use. However, if you had rulers as eyes, you would be able to see what is wrong. Yeah, you guessed it (you didn't really probably) - these are 1/2''. Which means although I had hoped to start doing the plumbing tonight, it was almost silly for me to start because if you start gluing the PVC together before it is totally cut and assembled, you are bound to make a mistake unless you vocation is working on This Old House. So....as other road blocks and bumps come about on this - I'll let you know.

Totally unrelated - you have all done it before. You are packing for a trip, space is tight, however - there is something you really want. When your spouse is not looking you unzip the bag and smash something in - forcing the zippers on the bag to scream for mercy. Well - even if you haven't - you can imagine. I did that this last trip - but the sad part is that it was not even with one of my own things. Someone once gave Sammy a mini-Wisconsin helmet for Christmas. I saw it when we were home in December and what started out as an innocent 'that would look nice on my teaching desk' turned into me risking the life of one of our suitcases AND stealing (commandearing?) this helmet for my use in 2009. None the less, I am happy it is here with me in Costa Rica. If it could talk, I think it would be happy too.


One last picture to entertain you with. I've never really seen this before in a house, because Ive never seen a house that had vaulted ceilings in every single room. But in two of the rooms, the closets are just built out into the rooms. However, the ceiling is so tall that they did not continue the concrete to the top. The first week we were hear I told Christy that it would make sweet storage. She then mentioned how ugly it would be. Case closed, right? Maybe not....



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sweet suitcases! Thanks for the update. The house looks nice. I hope the water heater installation goes smoothly :)