Friday, January 9, 2009

Rattle Rattle Shake Shake

As you may have heard - there was a 6.2 earthquake in Costa Rica, very near to San Jose, yesterday. Being unprepared gringos from a location in the United States with no earthquakes, I must admit that we were fairly unprepared for an earthquake of that magnitude. There have been smaller ones to date (in fact, three days ago there was a 5.0) - but those more just feel a bit odd but are not frightening. However, when the glasses and plates start dancing, my car is rolling in the driveway - and you can physically see how the house is moving different directions than the concrete walls outside are window - it is certainly a time for concern. Praise the Lord that everyone in our family is safe. Also, all of our friends here in Costa Rica at La Palabra de Vida and beyond appear to be safe and sound. However, please do pray for those families that have serious housing damage, and worse yet, lose of life in their family (I believe the death toll is up to 15 by today). I'm actually fairly concerned that the 15 is probably woefully low given that some of the smaller poor shanty towns are probably not getting either the news coverage or asistance that they need.

Unrelated to the earthquake, my parents and my brother and his wife landed (2 hours after the earthquake - I guess it is related) safe and sound. My middle brother Jon, his wife and daughter will be landing in 1 hour and we will be having a Meyer family vacation / get-together which given the current market and also hardness to find time to get together could be our last for a while. Its fun to see everyone and I'm hoping a few days at the beach will be fun time together.

I've been working on reading up on 8th grade science text books and working through lesson plans so that I will be one step closer to being able to teach at La Palabra this upcoming school season. I will be starting some teacher meetings at the end of this month and into early February and then my first foray into full time teaching begins. Yikes!

I tried the last two nights to post some updates on the hot water heater (of which their are plenty) - but both times I lost my posts. Can you believe it? As a summary, the offical store trip count was about 10 - and we came in about 50% over budget - but on the plus side it does make hot water. On the negative side - it could at any point blow up and ruin the back half of our house. More to follow....

I hope everyone is doing well - we'll be in touch.

1 comment:

Ali said...

Glad you guys are okay. Have fun with your family!