Monday, March 3, 2008

Let the packing begin

I was smiling as I read again my last post because of the shear enthusiasm in the post for leaving to Costa Rica, but clear neglect at remembering how much is involved in the actual process of moving. Do not get me wrong, Christy and I are pumped to go; however, I think we are both just a little pooped from our exhausting 1.5 weeks of travel and beginning to pack for the trip.

We just got back from a Illinois to Richmond to Michigan whirl wind tour that was great in that we saw lots of friends and family, but exhausting as we drove well over 30 hours getting to Richmond, Detroit and Spring Lake. While in Richmond we had a chance to connect with folks from the church including lunch with our old small group, time of prayer during Thursday lunch hour and play group time for Christy and the kids. I also had adequate time to hang out with many old friends from Capital One on Friday during lunch and in the evening on Friday afternoon . The last thing I did while in Richmond was take my little girl and get about 3.5 inches chopped off of her hair. You can see it in the attached picture. Special thanks to Todd and Nancy Behrens who let us crash at their place the entire trip there. We had a great time with them playing in the backyard, sharing meals, and having the kids play together - their child Brandon is only 4 months older than Sammy. I lovingly taught him how to saw 'Go Badgers!' which both his parents loved as they are die hard Florida Gator fans (see Brandon wearing orange and blue - 'his' favorite colors). They could be mad, but hey, they have multiple national championships in the last two years, so lets be reasonable.

While in Michigan we had an opportunity to stop for a day in Detroit and see my mom's parents and my fathers dad. We had a wonderful time of sharing over breakfast with Grandma and Grandpa 'T' and also enjoyed watching Elizabeth build a fort with their pillows up in their room. Although my Grandma Meyer continues to slow with age (he is over 90) we enjoyed walking around his building and looking at the birds and fish with the kids. I also beat him 2 of 2 games in Cribbage which is a feat given his massive amount of experience. In his younger years if you did not count points for yourself on the board, he would take your points (aka - cheating in most cultures). Luckily though, he did not do that this game or else I may have lost one of the games.

Lastly, we had a nice stop at my parents place in Spring Lake, Michigan where we had the nice surprise of having both of my brothers and their wives come and visit. As time goes by, it is a rare opportunity that we get everyone together, so it was nice to visit with everyone. Kristen and Jon (my middle brother) are due in May - it is sad that we will not get to meet our niece until she is probably crawling. However, we left them with a small something - two army duffels full of little girl clothes :)

Christy parents were kind enough to watch the kids for a majority of today we managed to get a fair amount of packing done. I was telling Christy that my back hurt this evening and I could not figure out why - until I remembered that I was weighing myself on a scale and then picking up large bags and weighing myself again (in an effort to get our bags to as close to 50 pounds - the airline limit - without going over). Usually I would first weigh when the bag was at 20 pounds, then at 40 pounds, then at 60 pounds, and have to reweigh at least four more times per bag to get it under 50. It looks like a small tornado went through our place (Christy groaned when I showed her I was posting this picture - but it is the reality), but we are making progress to getting all packed up. You can see five bags all packed which you can see in the picture. We can check 8 at the counter, carry on 4 more, and have an additional 4 'personal' bags - which I am sure we will have all. It will be a site to see for sure.

Please pray as we continue packing that we would quickly and efficiently get everything we need for the trip into our bags. Also pray for our patience as we continue on this journey. Lastly, pray that we would not forget why we are going and also that the Spirit would continue to be there long before us working in the lives of those in the language school and at La Palabra.

No comments: