Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Less than six weeks!

Christy and I realized while we were in Colorado that we had less than six weeks to go before we leave Illinois for the next year. Madness. Packing has not started yet - but we are trying to get all of our final paper work done. This includes signing up for language school, getting the kids enrolled in their equivalent of school, getting on Latin America Mission's payroll, getting our taxes done, etc. Six weeks feels like a long time, but we will also be in Michigan and Richmond for a combined 2 weeks - so we really only have about four weeks left. Christy's parents have offered to watch the kids as much as needed for us starting in early March (after our trip to Richmond and Michigan) so that we can get all of our stuff packed up and leave the condo we are using in a state that they can have visitors stay here without tripping over kids toys and books.

In between getting forms filled out and finishing up my two classes at Covenant (I'm done with one and hope to be done with the other by this Friday, 6 credits out of 60 completed for the degree!) - we've been busy with the kids. They like to do various activities like riding in their laundry basket cars, work at the computer, and play racquetball with dad. I've posted a couple pictures for everyone's entertainment.

The first picture of Sammy I have titled 'Sammy MEYER' because this is one of the first pictures of him that I think he REALLY looks like a Meyer. Given the powder blue shirt (which was in style during the 70s and now is apparently again) - this could easily be a picture of my middle brother Jon. I think it looks very similar to many of his baby pictures. My mother also tells me often that he acts and looks alot like Jon did. Hmmm....oh well, I guess he didn't get my brains (everyone at Capital One is snickering because I was barely in the bottom tenth decile of smartest people there) but Jon is 3'' taller than me so maybe there is hope at baseball or some sport like that.

We bought Lizzy some 'computer games' last time we were at International Aid - a low cost store that missionaries can shop at. They are less games and more learning activities. The most interesting thing so far is that she can now type her name...well....LIZZY...on a computer keyboard. I've attached a picture that Christy took of her working away on a real computer. As neat as it is to see this as a parent - it is still a little crazy too. My 3.5 year old daughter using a computer. It still makes me have a 'WHEN I WAS A BOY...' moment as I think back to the 286 Packard Bell which we got when I was just entering middle school.

The last couple pictures are of Elizabeth and I playing in the Racquetball court. The picture of me is one that she proudly took. It took a couple shots but she managed to get my entire face in the picture. What I notice here is not so much the goofy face or the beard, but the wrinkles under my eyes. Mind you, not that I care, but it is a reminder that 30 is around the corner, kids make you age fast, and life is short. When I was recently looking at my passport photo that was taken right before Christy and I got married, I no longer say 'Hey, I look a little different' but rather think 'I hardly can tell its the same person'. I imagine these thoughts will accelerate between 30 and 40 and even more so between 40 and 50. C'est la vie. I've also included a picture of Elizabeth triumphantly holding a racquetball at the mercy of a racquet. All in all we've had just a wonderful time in Wheaton. We'll miss having our play time like you see in these pictures, but we are eager (if not a little nervous) about getting down to Costa Rica.

Its late and I promised Christy I would watch the kids tomorrow morning so she could sleep in (it is Valentines day you know) so I'm heading off to sleep.

Leaving you with a little racquetball...Elizabeth style...

1 comment:

Kari Gross said...

What an adorable kid, we miss watching them grow up.

....as well as feeling bitterly disappointed about missing you guys at lunch the other day.

Isn't packing fun?