Monday, September 24, 2007

The Great Adventure

The adventure that I speak of is Elizabeth's first extended trip away from home and mom and dad - with Grandma and Grandpa! My parents are coming in tomorrow and will be leaving Wed morning with Elizabeth to spend a couple days up in Michigan together. I've heard of all sorts of fun events planned from the zoo to parks to museums and even making strawberry ice cream together. She might have so much fun that she decides never to come back! Although I am sure Christy and I will miss her, we'll enjoy a little down time with only Sammy to care for. We will see her soon enough on Friday when we had to Michigan to meet up with the entire Meyer Clan to celebrate my birthday on Saturday (feel free to send cash, gifts and other goodies my way).

Its been a while since I posted my thoughts on random articles that I see online - and I have a whopper to view today (not really). It has to do with something only slightly less cool than the pigeon hugging monkey I posted about last time. Today it has to do with missile silo homes. Maybe its just a guy thing, but missile silo homes and also the idea of purchasing an island was a topic of conversation and online searching at least once every six months while I was at Capital One. For all you rookies who have never dreamed so big, I've included a link to help understand the greatness that could be owning a house over an old Titan or Atlas missile silo and/or your own private island get-a-way. Christy and I were considering a private island in Costa Rica - but after examining our bank account we learned we were a few million short. To be honest though, the drive would have been a bear from the ocean to San Jose.

Another article that caught my eye was on the UAW labor contract disputes with GM. These disputes, along with similar ones that are always seen in the airline industry, are amazing to me. I guess I can understand the union position (e.g., you promised us this, now you need to pay) but at some level they need to understand they are running the company into the ground, and when that happens - no one wins. No retirement benefits, no job security, no nothing. Clearly we are a ways off from this; however, it has just always seemed like a dangerous game of chicken. They might actually get more now than they will when the company is very weak and can't afford to concede anything.

Until next time...

No comments: